Do I know my own name?
- Did you know that (a + b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2?
- Do I know my own name? It is called the first law of squares.
- Exactly! When a = 11 and b = 7 the right side equals 112 + 2*11*7 + 72.
- You mean 324?
- Is 324 a square number?
- Of course! It is 182. 11 + 7 = 18.
- I was wondering about something.
- Me too! May be we were wondering about the same! Wouldn’t that be wonderful?
- Is a2 + 3ab + b2 ever a square number?
- You changed the 2 for a 3.
- I know I did.
- Then it obviously can’t be a square number! I know my own name!
- Was it the same you were wondering about?
- Not exactly.
- What were you wondering about?
- I rather not say.
- Come on! Don’t be shy!
- Do you think it will rain?
Problem source: The Dude Minds…